Jul 1, 2018

Reader's view: My Story by Kamala Das

Image result for kamala das my story

Author: Kamala Das

The first thing I thought while and after reading this book is that one must read the books like these in the original language in which they are written. In this case, its first written in Malayalam, which is the author's mother tongue. Ideally I should have read this in Malayalam or at least in my mother tongue, Telugu. Certain things are best explained and understood in mother tongue. I neither could learn Malayalam not could I buy this book in Telugu. So I carried on with the English version of it. I must confess that I skipped few paragraphs as the narration felt prolonged at multiple occasions. However, I believe I have successfully captured the soul of the story, with whatever the content I've read from the book. 

Its about a woman, a writer,  a wife and a mother. Its about her perceptions about the incidents happened around and with her. In the beginning, it feels as if its a simple story but one can understand the depth of the story while reading the middle pages of the book. As the story reaches the last chapters, the rigor with which the author had written her story can be felt to the core. More than enjoyment, one can feel the intention of the author clearly provided an effort is made towards that. Otherwise, it will be really boring to complete this book. Women, I guess, can connect to this story and the narration better than men do. 

If you have read a lot of fiction already, this book must help you in getting you back to the hard facts of reality very quickly. Try this book not when you want to kill time but when you wish to make time with a non-fictional story.  

No comments: